by SwimMAC Training Center Charlotte Latin
SUMMER SWIM SCHOOL CLASS SCHEDULE
*Note: You may register for any or all sessions. Full payment is required at time of registration.
SATURDAY CLASS TIMES: 9:30, 10:05, 10:40
More times available depending on demand. Read More
READING/LITERACY INTERVENTION SUMMER PROGRAM:
Pediatric Boulevard has a wonderful opportunity for your child this summer! We are providing an intensive reading/literacy intervention program for children who will be enrolled in 1st or 2nd grade in the fall of 2016 (children repeating kindergarten may participate as well). This program will include a comprehensive assessment of your child’s reading/literacy skills, as well as 6 weeks of intensive instruction.
- Registration takes place June 13 through June 24 (contact Pediatric Boulevard) and we will be accepting applications from approximately 18 children.
- Individual assessments of reading/literacy skills will take place June 27 through July 6.
- Each child will attend a one-on-one session during which a comprehensive assessment of their reading/literacy and associated language skills will be completed. Assessment sessions will be scheduled on an individual basis.
- Intervention will take place the week of July 11 through the week of August 15.
- For 6 weeks, children will attend group intervention sessions twice weekly for one hour. Groups will consist of 3 to 4 children with similar reading/literacy ability levels. Families will schedule intervention days/times following the completion of their child’s assessment.
A comprehensive assessment will allow us to learn more about each child’s reading and associated foundational skills, leading us to the appropriate path for intervention – a path that will directly address each child’s individual needs. Based on the results of each assessment, children will be placed in intervention groups. Group intervention will allow opportunities for children to interact with one another, develop a love for reading and related activities, and build confidence, while cheering on their peers who may be struggling in the same area(s) of reading/literacy.
The program is being implemented by Dr. Kimberly Lackey, a speech-language pathologist (SLP) with more than 15 years of experience in her field. Dr. Lackey has worked with numerous families to develop strategies to build vocabulary and other early literacy skills in young children at home. Additionally, she founded and directed an after-school reading program for kindergarten and first grade students for 5 years, allowing her to help struggling readers gain skills needed for success in school. Her passion is in determining the root of a child’s deficits and targeting those foundational skills. Dr. Lackey believes that systematic, intense intervention that targets both literacy and foundational language skills can lead to proficient reading for every child!
For more information please contact us at: 704-214-2087